There are many things to consider, from style to budget, and your own personal taste. You can find an engagement ring that fits your personality by choosing vintage or antique engagement rings.
Each ring has an unrepeatable design and comes with a story of love. People feel drawn to heirloom jewelry for its characteristic craftsmanship that machine-produced jewelry can never achieve. Additionally, vintage and antique engagement rings are typically a more affordable option.
Why Are Antique or Vintage Engagement Rings Special?
- It Has a Story to Tell: Purchasing antique or vintage jewelry is like owning a piece of someone’s past. Perhaps the piece is passed down from generation to generation carrying stories of each of its owners. Antiques are pieces of history that survived the test of time and maintained integrity while the world around them changed. The nostalgia evoked by possessing an antique piece of jewelry is an incomparable sentiment for many.
- Great Quality, Design & Nostalgia:Wearing a ring hand-made by skilled artisans using traditional techniques rarely seen in modern jewelry is meaningful and special. Antique jewelry reflects the details and subtle sparkle only achieved by artisans passionate about creating distinct pieces of jewelry one at a time. Who wouldn’t like to adorn the special day with an engagement ring that is authentic and the only one of its kind?
How to Choose an Antique or Vintage Engagement Ring?
Investing in antique or vintage jewelry is a massive decision. Don’t shy away from asking questions to ensure what you are purchasing is an authentic heirloom piece well-preserved for decades or centuries and not a reproduced design.
- Check for the background of the piece. Ask questions to know the era it belongs to. Knowing the history of the ring can be exciting and assuring.
- Make sure the supplier is a reliable one, not someone trying to pass off a worn-out piece as vintage or antique. To determine the credibility of the antique jewelry store, you can check the entire collection the shop is offering. A proven way is to check the supplier’s reputation by going through customer reviews and testimonials – it speaks volumes about the service and quality of the products offered by the store. If the majority of the reviews are positive, then it is safe to say that the supplier is reliable.
- One of the most important things to note while buying antique or vintage jewelry is to check its authenticity. You can closely inspect the jewelry’s condition to know if it has gone through any repair or alterations. If you plan to buy online, you can ask for high-resolution photos of the jewelry. Better still, you can call the supplier and ask for certifications or hallmarks to confirm the authenticity and quality of the piece.
- A crucial factor to consider when buying an antique or vintage ring is its cost. Antique or vintage jewelry is generally slightly less expensive than its modern counterpart. If you come across a price too good to be true, you should probably check twice before committing. Some stores offer excellent layaway plans to make your purchase easy. You can check with the supplier for the terms and conditions related to such plans and also check for return policies so you can make the purchase while knowing all the ins and outs.
The Different Types of Antique or Vintage Jewelry –
To understand the full value of an heirloom ring, the owner should know its history.
The difference between vintage and antique lies in their period of origin. Vintage and antique are both considered to belong to earlier times or dates from the past. The definition of antique is something that has been in existence for more than 75 years, while the definition of vintage is something that has been in existence for at least 40 years.
Additionally, there is Estate Jewelry, which is a piece of jewelry that has been previously owned, regardless of when it was owned.
The Age and Style of the Jewelry are defined by the Era it belonged to –
Mid and Late Victorian Period: 1850 – 1900 – During the reign of Queen Victoria, the discovery of large and plentiful mines paved the way for precious metals and gemstones to create heavy, fashionable jewelry.
Edwardian Period: 1900 – 1915 – This period marked the return of elegantly styled jewelry when engagement rings were often adorned with diamonds. Pearl and platinum were also increasingly used to create pieces that are strong and durable yet demonstrated delicate designs.
Art Nouveau: 1890 – 1915 – This period witnessed defining art movements that celebrated designs in striking contrast to the Edwardian style. Gemstones like opals and moonstones found prominence in jewelry, and durable design gave way to new and dainty styles.
Art Deco: 1920 – 1935 – One of the most prominent styles of this period was characterized by sharp angles and geometrical shapes. Art Deco engagement rings are popular among antique and vintage jewelry lovers due to their bold colors, angular designs, and shiny enamels.
Retro Period: 1935 – 1949 – This period marked bold and powerful designs, with gold taking center stage. It brought notable changes in jewelry designs like large, semi-precious gems in oversized pieces which became a common style. In this era, Hollywood was often seen as an influence on jewelry.
Best Place to Buy Engagement Rings
When it comes to Antique and Vintage Engagement Ring stores, Gesner Estate Jewelry offers jewelry with exceptional quality and rich history. Gesner offers an impressive collection of antique and estate jewelry, with more than a thousand unique items.
Home to the most exquisite Engagement Rings, this family-owned business specializes in jewelry from the turn of the 20th century to the late 1940’s. In addition, Gesner Estate Jewelry offers Appraisal and Restoration Services to the owners of generation-old precious jewelry.
Why Choose Gesner Estate Jewelry?
If you are looking for the best online jewelry store, Gesner Estate Jewelry is the most trustworthy name you can find. Gesner is the only place you’ll find better customer service if you’re thinking about buying expensive jewelry online.
Gesner’s staff provides unparalleled service, from answering your questions to sending pictures for inspection to shipping your items in a flash.
Furthermore, every item is accompanied by a complete Gem Analysis and Appraisal prepared by a G.I.A. Graduate Gemologist.
About Gesner Estate Jewelry:
Gesner is the name standing for TRUST and COMMITMENT. While the business has a beautiful brick-and-mortar store in Tampa.
GESNER ESTATE JEWELRY provides the finest jewelry at the lowest price possible. We specialize in Antique & Vintage gold and platinum jewelry from the turn of the 20th century to the late 1930’s; however, our inventory of newer pieces in gold and platinum is also unsurpassed. We maintain an inventory of several thousand unique items. Every piece is in wonderful condition and uncommon in design.
Gesner Estate Jewelry offers the finest jewelry repairs and watches repairs in Tampa and Largo, Florida. Our Master Jewelers are available for all jewelry repairs.
We are a family-owned firm that has been in business since 1972. We are among the leaders in antique and estate jewelry. It would be our pleasure to speak with you personally about what we do and who we are. Feel free to contact us at (727) 586-6000 at any time
Internal Link: https://www.articlering.com/